Системи за мониторинг на тръбопроводи
The company operates in various commercial areas, dealing with industrial goods, combined with development of information technologies for process control and human resources management.
On the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria, THORN Europe LTD operates through „Thorn BG” Ltd – Burgas, and since 2008 also through „Thorn Bulgaria” Ltd – Burgas.
It is a few years ago that the company research team turns its attention to the problem of “Process and criminal breaches” along the product pipelines due to the gravity of the consequences it brings along:
- Ecological pollution – of underground and drinking water, long-lasting destruction of soil, poisoning of the fauna and flora, etc. in cases of accidents, arising in the process of oil products transportation.
- Costs due to growing prices of raw materials.
- Maintenance costs.
- Costs incurred as a result of suspension of pipeline operation.
- Costs due to increased insurance.
- Security costs (manpower, equipment).
These, together with other minor effects of spills happening along an oil- or gas-pipeline, made our specialists to do a thorough analysis and research an choose the “System for data analysis and localization of breaches in real-time” as a solution to this problem.
The system itself is integrated in a hardware and software for collection and analysis of a data base, where information is received in real time from measuring devices installed on the pipeline. The data are then transferred to a central computer via transportation media, in this case a high-speed wireless network for long distances, and the result is actually delivered to the system operator at the moment of the event occurrence.
We offered the “LUKOIL BULGARIA” management to demonstrate the functionality of the system entirely at our expense in real conditions on the “Burgas – Ihtiman” product pipeline.
We have also demonstrated our system to the management of LUKoil – Russia and it was included in the investment program for 2006.
After the international tender, held in 2006, the system offered by us was ranked first and we proceeded to drawing and signing a contract of execution.
The system has been constructed and operates in the section Burgas – Ihtiman. The actual topography of the pipeline has been photographed, because there have been many changes over the years of operation. A three-dimensional mathematical model of the pipe in this section has been created. The product pipeline has been adapted and put down onto a real topographic map scaled 1:500.
The system functions and the operation information is received by the operator of Kameno base in real time on the territory of the “LUKOIL NEFTOCHIM BURGAS”.
Tested in all kinds of process modes in real operation conditions, the system proves its efficiency in localization of breaches.
The system for localization of emergency or criminal breaches on product pipelines (oil and gas pipelines), developed by our team, works in real time (i.e. at the moment the very event occurs);
The system consists of the following the components, developed by our and other specialists:
- a three-dimensional mathematical model of the pipeline ;
- measuring devices – pressure sensors in accordance with the fluid and the operation mode to be monitored in compliance with the Customer’s order;
- measuring stations with integrated controllers for events registration;
- transportation media, based on high speed wireless computer network;
- a central computer;
- software for processing and analysis of the received data;
- a system of reporting and alerting the pipeline maintenance personnel;
- a system for identification of the pipeline sections, which are not filled with liquid, and, respectively localization of the pipeline sections, where the gas phase has a different pressure, localization of the border sections, where the hydraulic flow of liquid is interrupted, as well as sections partially filled with liquid;
- tracing the border front in case of transportation of more than one fuel type and ability to transfer the information for automatic control of the separate transportation of different fuel types.
During the tests, carried out on the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria the system proved its ability to detect and localize criminal breaches.
The tests are accompanied with protocols, signed by both parties carrying out the experimental start-ups of the system.
We have developed mathematical methods for detection and visualization of any air-locks or gas phase in the pipeline on the mathematical 3D model.
The system we offer can be configured according to the desires of the customer and can read:
- temperature ;
- density ;
- fluid flow rate ;
- differential pressure (optional) ;
- radio activity (optional);
The system can operate with any type of measuring devices, which are precise enough and fast enough and send out signal in the form of electric current of 4 to 20 mA. Communication is also possible using other industrial standards for data transfer: PROFIBUS and FOUNDATION FIELDBUS
The system can be adapted to work with different types of fluids in product pipelines of any diameter and configuration as per technical assignment.
THORN International, USA undertakes to adapt the system to any existing product pipelines, transporting any other raw materials such as oil, gas, water, etc. The only requirement is our specialists to be allowed access to the pipeline routing to photograph the actual 3D mode of the pipeline.
Another important characteristic of our system is its flexibility. Depending on the assignment we can develop the system to make its own decisions and control the mode of fluid feed into the pipeline, i.e. from a monitoring and alarm system it can be developed into a process control system.
We have developed modules, capable of integrating video-observation, intended to be used on pipelines for expensive fuels, as is the case of LUKOIL.
The software has flexible setting and can be set to operate in different conditions and with different pipelines and fluids.
The team of THORN Europe LTDis open to any offers for cooperation or any other type of mutual activity in relation to the above.